15 May 2010

Face It



A few weeks ago I opened a Facebook account. Why? Because I'm about to move back to the States & want to re-connect with many of my friends that I came to know through-out my life. I'm amazed at & humbled by those whom I have found & who actually remembered me, then still wanted to add me to their list of friends.

Of course there is one fly in the ointment - the friend who is now a fundalmental creationist. His first remark on my Wall was:

"Hey Mike, glad you connected after all these years.....after reading your page I find we may have some spirited debates (or not) :) about spiritual things. I'm an ardent Christian creationist. Let the fun begin :))"


Now I'm sorry, I don't think it's fun to 'debate' an 'ardent' Christian - I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall. You can't reason with those that prefer blind faith over evidence. After a couple of tries on his part to suck me into a 'debate' I rather stridently told him:

"I'm not going to be drawn into a battle between faith & reason. I am using my FB profile to find old friends & catch up on their lives, to let them catch up on mine.

There are other pages for debating this. It's not going to happen here."


I truly get annoyed with the fundy Christians that want try to convert me. I grew up in a household with a father that was a Southern Baptist preacher. I can see both sides of the argument & I can't see any evidence for, or any reason to believe in a creator.


No comments: